Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Family Affair


Staring at the Matterhorn that was July's weekends, I did it. I persevered through a visit with the mom/Tom tagteam, then powered through a visit by Joe Sr. and then Angela & Co. decided to be the icing on the cake by visiting my birthday weekend. Count it. Three family visits in three consecutive weekends. I mean, eat your heart out David Blaine. His underwater/frozen-in-ice schtick ain't got nothin' on me.

Ok. So, it wasn't that bad. But really, when you take all three entities and put them each in their own individually marked weekend, you gotta prepare for each differently. One likes to visit Manhattan and the fastest parts of the Asian infrastructure. Another likes the challenge of finding the least amount of concrete and dollar signs possible. And one of them, is my sister who doesn't really care either way. Without fibbing, i was plenty nervous looking at the agenda because I knew that each had never seen Long Island before and each had their own image of how my life looked based here. However, with due going to the island and giving me some options, I'm happy to say that I have 3 new fans of place. Without even driving more than a span of 25 miles, anyone has access to import markets, freshwater fish hatcheries, authentic irish food & drinks, a national park and monument, beaches on two shores and the bagels. Almost forgot about the bagels.

I must sound like some paid-in-full, B-list celebrity who's trying to fill a plug for the tourism division of Long Island on how "oarsome" it is. But as nice as being paid-in-full would be, I was just pleasently surprised how there really is something for everyone here...well, at least something for everyone in my family.




No comments: