Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Use a #2 on the sides and blend it as you go up...

Sometimes a compliment or random act of kindness can turn around a piss-poor day. Even just treating yourself to a favorite meal or reading in the park during an hour-long lunch can turn anyone's attitude and highlight the week. For me, I love getting a haircut. Yes, the clippers and scissors to the scalp, followed by a nice rinse create a rebirth that I'm kept, sharp and finally presentable for the first time in weeks. Seriously, nothing puts a smile on my face like a well-orchestrated trimming.
However, the polar opposite can have the same identical backlash, as someone who butchers my head will make me feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame; squatting and shying away from anyone who dares to look at me. Not only does the burden of ugly grooming curdle my day, but also the fact that 20 bucks (always $17 plus tip) was spent to someone that didn't care to if my head looked like Kid or Play.


Anyways, in recent months, I'd been disappointed time and time again as each haircut (all purchased at Supercuts) continually grew worse. I stuck with one lady most of the last year, and then I bounced from one after another until my last Supercut resulted in me coming home and FINISHING THE HAIRCUT MYSELF.
So, this past Tuesday, I took it upon myself to find someone without a trademarked sign and some steady-handed clippers who qualified to operate on my flowing black locks. "Nicks Barber Shop." I was approached by a dark-haired, well-aged woman who screamed of spanish features and she took me right away. Sat me down, asked for my instructions and proceeded to break the ice with me and my overgrown hair.
Fast forward 50 minutes later, and with 20+years of experience behind her guided hand, she got every last short hair and edged every side of my fauxhawk. Mint. I was really impressed. The she put a headrest on the retro-adjustable barber's chair and told me to lay back. I didn't argue because she already won my trust with the haircut. She then sprinkled some cologne-esque liquid on my profile and proceeded to massage my forehead and cheeks. Obviously, I'm nearly unconscious at this point because of the royal treatment. Just when I was about to prop my posture and get ready to leave... she whipped a hot towel from the sink basin and wrapped it on my face for two minutes, that could have fooled me for 2 hours.

"How does that feel?"

"Um... amazing. Best haircut ever."

How much would something like this cost, in all the places like Long Island, and how many mortgages do I have to sign to begin payment?

"16$."

For the best haircut I've ever had?... keep the $20. I'm having a good day.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Congratulations.

Lisa said...

kid and play... priceless